Tuesday 20 March 2012

Nurul Izzah to Launch Zunar’s Latest Cartoon Book ’1 MOOLAYSIA’

From : anwaribrahim blog


I would like to announce the publication of my fifth and latest English cartoon book, “1 MOOLAYSIA.”

Previously, I had published “Even My Pen Has a Stand” (2011), “Cartoon-O-Phobia” (2010), “1 Funny Malaysia” (2009) and “Cartoons On Tun…”(2005),
1 Funny Malaysia was banned on the grounds that the contents are “detrimental to public order”, while Cartoon-O-Phobia was investigated under the Sedition Act on which I was detained under the same act hours before the launching of the book on the 24th September 2010.

“1 Moolaysia” was chosen as a title based on the popular issue, the NFC Scandal.
“1 MOOLAYSIA” features a collection of my political cartoons that have appeared in Malaysiakini website from July 2011 to March this year as well as works published in Cartoonmovement.com, an international cartoon website, and also some fresh and unpublished works.

These cartoons mainly touch on issues that failed to be highlighted by local political cartoonists, such as the PM and his shop-a-holic wife, conspiracy against Anwar Ibrahim, Altantuya, Scorpene, the NFC scandal, misuse of public funds, racism, corruption, violation of human rights, Bersih, police brutality and Malaysian politics in general.

It also features latest cartoons about the First Lady’s shopping in Perth, the cow scandal, the shoe-throwing to the Judge issue, PM’s crocodile tears and the 901, among others.

Pressure continues

Since the pressure from the government continues, it is hard for me to find printers to print and vendors to sell my book openly. Some printers and vendors were told that they will lose thier operating licences if they continue to print or sell my book(s).

Meanwhile, in the court June last year, the Kuala Lumpur High Court rejected my suit to challenge the government on the banning of “1Funny Malaysia” and my other book, “Perak Darul Kartun” through a “comical judgment”.

I then filed another suit to challenge the police and the government on my detention under The Sedition Act immediately after the publishing of “Cartoon-O-Phobia”. The case is now proceeding and the next session will be on the 5th and 6th of April. No matter what the results may be, it will not derail my spirit to continue drawing cartoons. “I will fight until the last drop of my ink.”

Thus, I hope to get good support from readers and fans alike in buying “1Moolaysia” to help me produce more political cartoons and to continue “To Fight Through Cartoon” agenda.
I would also like to urge Malaysians not to keep quiet but do your best to fight this corrupt dan inept government. The least you can do is through the funny ways. “If you cannot beat them, laugh at them!”

“1 Moolaysia” has 104 full coloured pages and will be sold at retail price of RM25.00. It can be purchased via online through my website http://zunarcartoonist.com/.
The sale event will be held at Amcorp Mall on the 24th and 25th of March, from 10am to 5pm on both days. It will be officiated by Lembah Pantai MP, YB Nurul Izzah Anwar at 2pm on the 25th of March at the same venue.

Zunar is currently Malaysia’s foremost political cartoonist

No comments:

Post a Comment